FARM ANIMAL CARETAKER & MAINTENANCE
Now hiring 3 compassionate Farm Animal Caretakers that have maintenance skills or strong aptitude to learn.
● Animal Care routines, health checks and daily observation of animals
● Feeding all animals on routine schedules
● Providing animal enclosures, cleaning and bedding
● Provide general wound care and administer meds as prescribed or needed
● Provide environmental enrichment
● Adjusting daily routines if weather changes
● Make feed recipes and keep feed supplies organized
● Groundskeeper, general landscaping, etc.
● Working with and around large farm animals
● Create Habitats, Coops & Enclosures
● Daily sweeping and mopping, dusting and thorough cleaning of common area
● Hauling debris and trash
● Coordinating volunteers and keeping them busy
● Setting up for volunteer days and other special events as needed
● Provide general work in support of maintenance projects including tasks such as painting, road repairs, and fence maintenance as needed.
● Daily logs and activity reports related to animal care and projects which involve the use of the animal care desk and computer.
● Filing of animal care paperwork and upkeep of our Animal Care Bible
● Inventory Feed, Produce & Med Supplies
● Prolonged periods of standing and walking throughout sanctuary grounds
● Must be able to perform strenuous physical labor and lifting of 50# feed sacks regularly: team-lift heavier amounts as needed.
● Must be able to bend, lift, push, stoop, stretch, climb, crawl and other physical activities as needed related to the job.
● Must be able to regularly perform work in a variety of weather conditions; most work is done in an outdoor setting that is not climate controlled with the exception of daily logs and inventory.
● Must meet physical requirements
● Farm animal handling experience (large and/or small animals)
● Must have keen observation skills and ability to report any abnormal conditions or behaviors in a timely manner.
● Must be a team player and demonstrate willingness to help others
● Reliable and dependable
● Must be highly organized and efficient
● Must be able to responsibly drive a Kawasaki Mule
● Must be able to communicate with others in a respectful and productive manner
● Able to follow directions and complete all tasks as assigned
● Comfort with and ability to develop expertise working with all species in Rowdy Girl Sanctuary’s care.
● Comfort with and ability to work with volunteers and be flexible on the days we have private tours and/or events.
● Must be willing to work shift work and holidays and be flexible with work schedules.
● Must have dependable transportation
Other qualifications, but not required are:
● Previous farm or work experience at an animal care shelter
● Vet Tech experience
● The ability to use small and large hand tools
● Part time 30 hours per week probationary period non-exempt position with a full time position opportunity after 90 days – or – Full time 40 hours (for ideal candidate) –
● Starting wage ranges $11.25 to $15.00 per hour depending on experience.
● Work schedule is based on a split shift. Candidates must have flexibility to work any day of the week; weekends and holiday availability is required.
● Paid holidays and paid time off once full time status is reached after 90 days probationary period.
● Background check and job references are required
● For the ideal candidate, there may be a chance for an on-site employment arrangement if you have your own small RV.
● Reports to Executive Director
Farm animal caretakers are highly valued team members. Our entire organization revolves around the comfort of knowing that the residents that live on our 147 acre sanctuary are in the hands of folks that care about the health and environment of the animals that call Rowdy Girl home. Our animal care population includes mostly cows and chickens but we have several goats, lambs, pigs, horses, ducks, rabbits, a donkey, a couple turkeys, and a few beloved barn cats. We do not breed for production in the food system.
We are in WAELDER, TX which is near Luling/Bastrop/Lockhart, and not too far from San Antonio and Austin.
This is an exciting opportunity for a passionate animal lover and environmentally conscious candidate that has the flexibility to grow with Rowdy Girl as we move into the future.
The job description above is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Any photos or videos taken in the scope of employment and/or related to Rowdy Girl Sanctuary are considered work product and intellectual property of Rowdy Girl Sanctuary.
Job Type: Part-time or Full Time
Salary: $11.25 – $15.00 per hour
● 8 hour shift
● Weekends as needed
All applicants must assure employer that they have not been exposed to anyone with COVID-19, have COVID-19 and adhere to state/local regulations.
Ability to commute/relocate:
● Waelder, TX 78959: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
● Are you able to work a split shift? It is required.
● Do you live in the Waelder area of Caldwell or Gonzales County?
● Farming/Animal care: 1 year (Required)
● Do you have a valid license to work in the US? (Required)
● Work Location: In person